What is the Orbera® Gastric Balloon?
Orbera® is a removable gastric balloon that is inserted non-surgically through the mouth for weight loss. While only recently FDA approved in the US, it has been available outside the states for several years and has a proven track record. There are numerous other gastric balloons besides Orbera available outside the US, and they all have an excellent safety profile. The FDA approved Orbera with indications to be offered to patients with a BMI of 30-40.
The Orbera Managed Weight Loss System is designed for patients that need to lose 30-60 lbs, which in many cases is enough weight loss to resolve type 2 diabetes. It is a unique device for the treatment of obesity in America as it’s not a diet, not surgery, and not a weight loss pill!
A simple endoscopic procedure is performed to place the gastric balloon, which is then filled with saline. The gastric balloon takes up space in the stomach and helps you feel full earlier. It also delays gastric emptying which can help to reduce hunger. The balloon is left in place for up to 6 months to provide the patient with hunger reduction and portion control. Combined with a healthy diet and exercise with a multi-disciplinary team approach, physicians monitor patients closely for weight loss and side effects. After 6 months, the device is removed but the patient remains enrolled in the program for another 6 months to ensure that they have developed healthy eating habits and are exercising regularly. No incisions are required for this procedure!
Reversible, minimally invasive anti-obesity procedures such as this are arming physicians with new weapons to treat excess weight, which is a leading cause of co-morbidities such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
Want more details? Read on!
- 3.1 times the weight loss than diet and exercise alone
- Safe and effective weight loss solution
- Over 220,000 placements worldwide
- Now FDA approved
- What is ORBERA™?
- Comprehensive two-part program designed to provide effective, motivating results that you can see. With ORBERA™ patients on average lose 3.1 times the weight they would with diet and exercise along
- Starts with a soft balloon placed in your stomach for six months to reinforce proper portion control.
- The ORBERA balloon take up space in your stomach helps you eat smaller meals.
- Balloon is temporary and placed in your stomach for six months without surgery or any incisions
- Patients will receive coaching from a team of experts, which may include a dietician, psychologist, and exercise physiologist
- Coaching continues after balloon is removed at six months for a total of 12 months
- The Procedure: Placement and removal
- Non-surgical procedure done under a mild sedative, the thin and deflated ORBERA™ balloon is placed into the stomach. It is then filled with saline until it’s about the size of a grapefruit. The procedure typically takes about 20-30 minutes so you can go home the very same day
- At six months, the balloon is removed in the same way it was placed. Through a non-surgical procedure done under a mild sedative, it is deflated first then removed
- What to Expect
- The weight loss is rapid with the majority of weight loss typically occurring in the first three months of treatment
- On average patients lost 3.1 times the weight loss of diet and exercise alone
- The adjustments to your eating habits and your continued efforts to stay active will greatly influence your results
- To qualify for ORBERA™, you should:
- Be an adult
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 to 40
- Be willing to participate in a medically supervised program
- ORBERA™ Advantage
- After six months with the ORBERA™ two-part program, people lost an average 3.1x the weight patients lost with diet & exercise alone.
- Proven to keep the weight off even after the balloon is removed.
- A more than 20 year history of helping thousands of people lose weight.
- More than 220,000 ORBERA™ balloons have been distributed worldwide in over 80 countries.
- With the FDA approval of ORBERA™, patients now have a safe and effective treatment option.